Preparing Ramen Noodles for a Recipe
Boil the noodles according to the directions on the package and drain. If raw noodles are called for, then just break the noodles into bite-sized pieces before opening the package. Fried ramen noodles add crunch and a unique flavor to a recipe. For a recipe calling for fried noodles, heat 1/3 cup of canola oil in a frying pan and break the noodles into small pieces. Add them to the hot oil, and stir constantly until they are nicely browned.
Boiled Ramen Noodle Salads
- To make a basic ramen cabbage salad, shred a cup of Napa cabbage and a cup each of red cabbage and carrot. Add cup dry roasted peanuts and toss with boiled noodles and a dressing of 1 tablespoon each vinegar and sesame oil, a splash of lime juice, and a teaspoon sugar.
- For a chicken ramen cabbage salad, follow the directions for recipe 1 above and stir in 1 cups diced cooked chicken and cup each chopped bell pepper and snap peas.
- For a spicier ramen cabbage salad, add 1 cup shredded cabbage and some chopped scallions to the boiled noodles. Make a dressing of 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, teaspoon chili sauce (or to taste), and a pinch of sugar and salt. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Greek salad with ramen is another great bet. Over boiled noodles, place 1 cup chopped red bell pepper, 1 cup feta cheese crumbled, and cup each chopped onions, tomatoes, green olives, and black olives. Mix cup canola oil and cup lemon juice to pour over the salad.
- Make an antipasto salad by adding cup each sliced pepperoni and black olives plus 1/8 cup sliced Bermuda onion to a package of cooled boiled ramen. Add Italian dressing to taste.
- For a more traditional pasta salad, you can also add cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons mustard, tablespoon honey, 1 chopped celery stalk, 2 chopped hard boiled eggs and cup cubed cheddar cheese a package of boiled noodles.
Fried Ramen Noodle Salads
- Make bok choy ramen with a package of fried ramen noodles, a head of thinly sliced bok choy, a few green onions sliced and a half cup of sliced almonds. Toss with a dressing made of 1/3 cup olive oil, cup vinegar, 1 teaspoon soy sauce and cup sugar. Serve immediately.
- Substitute Napa cabbage for the bok choy in recipe 7 above and then add 1 tablespoons soy sauce to the dressing for a Napa cabbage salad.
- An Oriental Chicken salad can be made with a package of fried noodles, 4 cups cooked chicken breast, 6 green onions sliced, 1 cup toasted slivered almonds, cup sesame seeds, cup vinegar, cup canola oil, 2 teaspoons seasoned salt, teaspoon black pepper, 3 tablespoons sugar. Toss with half a head of shredded lettuce, garnish with mandarin oranges if desired and serve immediately.
Uncooked Ramen Noodle Salads
- A tasty broccoli and ramen noodle salad requires two packages of raw broken ramen noodles, a 16-ounce package of broccoli slaw mix, a bunch of green onions chopped, and a cup each of unsalted peanuts and sunflower seeds. Mix these ingredients and pour over a dressing of cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup cider vinegar, cup white sugar, and 1 seasoning packet. A squirt of lime juice and some chopped cilantro can also be added.
- For a light ramen salad, toss 4 cups shredded lettuce, 1 grated carrot, 4 green onions sliced and cup slivered almonds, with a package of uncooked ramen noodles. Pour over a dressing made of 2 tablespoons each of canola oil and honey, the seasoning packet (chicken or beef are recommended) and cup each rice vinegar and apple juice. Toss and serve.
Ramen Noodle Soups
- The easiest ramen soup recipe is to simply cook 2 cups of frozen vegetables of your choice (chopped broccoli or California blend works well) about half way and then add the ramen noodles and seasoning packet and cook according to package directions.
- Shrimp ramen soup can be made by heating frozen cooked shrimp (as much as you like) while bringing the water for the soup to a boil. Then just cook soup according to package directions.
- Japanese vegetable ramen is made with cup each chopped scallions, chopped green pepper, and bamboo shoots simmered in 2 cups of Shiitake mushroom broth. Add cooked ramen noodles and garnish with dried kelp and a hard-boiled egg, cut in half lengthwise.
- For Shiitake chicken ramen soup, prepare the soup as in recipe 14 above but add 1-2 poached chicken breasts diced.
- Cook ramen according to package directions, adding 1-2 cups chopped broccoli to the boiling water at the same time as the noodles. Pour into serving bowl and top with four slices of fried Spam and a poached egg.
- Ramen tomato soup is super simple. Cook ramen noodles in 2 cups of water and then add a can of condensed cream of tomato soup. Stir occasionally as you heat just to boiling. Add a squirt of hot sauce if desired.
Beef Ramen Dishes
- Make Tex Mex ramen by browning pound of ground beef. Stir in package of taco seasoning mix and boiled ramen noodles. Place on serving dish and top with cup each diced tomato, chopped onion and shredded cheese, a bit of chopped cilantro and some crushed nacho-cheese flavored tortilla chips.
- Ramen beef pie is a new twist on shepherd’s pie. Brown 1 pound ground beef with cup onion. Place in a glass casserole dish, sprinkle with about half a bag of frozen peas and carrots and then for the top layer, use two packages of boiled ramen noodles. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir fry 1 pound beef steak strips. Stir in 2 cups chopped broccoli and 1 cup chopped onion along with a seasoning packet. Stir fry for an additional 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Continue cooking until vegetables reach desired tenderness.
Chicken Ramen Dishes
- For chicken lo mein, place 1 tablespoon each canola oil and soy sauce in a frying pan. Heat, add 1 pound of chicken breast strips and brown. Add cup each chopped onion, green pepper and zucchini. Cook until vegetables are tender, stir in one package of boiled ramen noodles and serve.
- Chicken Diablo begins by sautéing 1 diced chicken breast in 2 tablespoons butter. When chicken is cooked, stir in cup chopped onion and 2 tablespoons flour. Cook until deep brown. Add 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon snipped parsley and teaspoon each tarragon and thyme. Bring to a boil, simmer for one minute and serve over hot boiled ramen.
- For a Caesar-flavored meal, stir 2 diced cooked chicken breasts, cup crumbled bacon, and cup each croutons and Caesar salad dressing into 2 packages of boiled ramen noodles.
- To make chicken Parmesan, bread and fry 2 chicken breasts in olive oil. Cook chicken until golden brown. Add two cups of spaghetti sauce to the pan and heat through. Add cup grated Parmesan cheese to the top of the chicken. Cook until cheese is melted. Serve over 2 packages hot boiled ramen.
- Make a Thai-inspired dish with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce mixed with 2 tablespoons peanut butter, teaspoon each garlic powder and teaspoon chili powder. Stir into hot boiled noodles along with 1 cup diced cooked chicken and about 4 sliced green onions.
Ham Ramen Dishes
- Fry 1 cup diced ham in 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Add cup green peas and cook until tender. Stir in package of ramen seasoning packet, teaspoon garlic powder, boiled ramen noodles and three chopped green onions.
- Make a ham ramen frittata by melting a tablespoon of butter in a large ovenproof skillet and adding 3 sliced scallions and 4 slices of deli ham diced. Cook three minutes and then pour over 6 beaten eggs that have been mixed with 2 packages boiled ramen noodles and one chicken-flavored ramen packet. Shake pan to evenly distribute and top with cup shredded cheddar cheese. Place skillet in preheated 350-degree oven and bake until egg is set, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- For ham and cheese ramen, boil a package of noodles with the seasoning packet. Drain noodles and stir in cup each diced ham and cheese. Cover the sauce pan and allow to sit for 5 minutes so the cheese melts.
Super Quick Ramen Dishes
- Pour heated marinara sauce over hot boiled ramen noodles for a meal reminiscent of spaghetti in half the time.
- Heat your favorite Alfredo sauce and pour over hot boiled ramen. Stir in diced ham or cooked chicken if you have any on hand.
- To one package of boiled ramen noodles, stir in a can of tuna drained, a can of cream of mushroom soup and a handful of crushed potato chips, if you wish.
- Parmesan ramen is as quick as cooking a package of ramen and sprinkling on cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Stir in a bit of fresh parsley if you’ve got it.
- Stir-fry a package of frozen vegetables with 4 ounces cubed firm tofu. Stir in boiled ramen noodles and season with 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and lime juice. Add Tabasco to taste.
- Sauté a clove of chopped garlic in a teaspoon of olive oil. Stir in boiled noodles, 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir your favorite pesto sauce into hot boiled ramen noodles.
- Heat up a can of chili and serve over hot boiled ramen noodles.
- Mix cooled boiled ramen noodles with three-bean salad and some additional Italian dressing.
- Add of a chicken flavored seasoning packet, 1 tablespoon butter, and 2-3 tablespoons milk to a package of boiled drained ramen for a creamy side dish.
- To one package of boiled noodles, stir in cup of salsa, cup sliced pepperoni or ham strips, 1 tablespoon pickle relish, and 1 teaspoon mustard for jail break ramen.
Ramen for Breakfast
- Break an egg in with the ramen noodles while boiling. Add seasoning packet as directed and enjoy a filling breakfast soup.
- In a medium saucepan, boil just enough water to cover a block of ramen. When water comes to a boil, add block of ramen and then a layer of onion and tomato slices. Top with a whole raw egg. Put the over on and cook until the egg reaches desired doneness.
- Boil ramen noodles and one beaten egg for three minutes. Drain all but 1 tablespoon water. Stir in seasoning packet, cup shredded cheese and a dash or two of hot sauce. Wrap flavored noodles in warm tortillas for breakfast burritos.
- Place three sponge cake dessert cups on a plate. Top with sliced banana, 1/3 cup maraschino cherries, package of fried ramen noodles and cup hot fudge sauce.
- Chocolate ramen is for when you need a serious sugar fix. Boil ramen in 2 cups of water with cup of brown sugar added. Pour off most of the water and then stir in teaspoon of vanilla and cup chocolate syrup. Pour onto serving plate and sprinkle powdered sugar over it. Garnish with whipped cream if you wish. Wash down with a tall glass of milk.
- Mix up one 3-ounce package of fruit-flavored gelatin according to package directions. Stir in a package of fried ramen and chill until set.
- Place three scopes of ice cream in a bowl. Top with 1/3 cup hot fried ramen noodles and your favorite ice cream sauce. (Carmel works well.)
- Open up a package of ramen noodles, break off a chunk and dip into your favorite salsa.
- For a trail-mix, combine a package of fried ramen noodles with cup dried cranberries, and cup each sliced almonds and dried apricots.
- Mix together 2 packages of uncooked broken ramen noodles, 2 cups Chex cereal, and 1 cup each pretzels and peanuts. Melt cup butter and stir in 1 teaspoon season salt and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the noodle and cereal mixture, stirring well. Bake in 250 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool and serve.
- A grilled ramen snack can be made by marinating an intact ramen cake in a mixture of 2 tablespoons soy sauce, the ramen seasoning packet, a squirt of your favorite hot sauce, cup hot water and teaspoon each of lemon juice, sesame oil, and sugar. Allow the ramen cake to sit in the marinade until tender but still cohesive, about 10 minutes on each side. Place on the grill and cook for about three minutes on each side. Watch closely. The goal is golden brown not charred noodles.