Questions to Ask Your Counselor
You should meet with your counselor at least once a semester. They are a great resource, but they may have limited time due to the student to counselor ratio. It’s best to go into the meeting prepared with questions. Lighthouse Counselors work hand-in-hand with your guidance counselor to ensure you are prepared for and get into the school of your choice.
- What courses do I need to take to be ready for college?
- How should I plan my schedule so I’ll complete them?
- Which elective courses do you recommend?
- Which AP® courses should I consider taking?
- When is the PSAT/NMSQT® going to be given?
- How should I study for the ACT or SAT®, and is it given at this high school or do I need to go somewhere nearby? What prep course do you recommend?
- Do you have college handbooks or other guides that I can browse or borrow?
- What activities can I do at home and over the summer to get ready for college?
- What kinds of grades do different colleges require?
- Are there any college fairs at this school, or nearby?
- Can you put me in touch with recent grads who are going to the colleges on my wish list?
- Do you have any information to help me start exploring careers?
- If my colleges need a recommendation from you, how can I help you know me better, so it can be more personal?
- Are there any special scholarships or awards that I should know about now, so I can work toward them?
- Can I see my transcript as it stands now, to see if everything is as I think it should be?
- What forms do I use to apply for financial aid and where I can find them online?
- How does our school compare to others, in terms of test scores and reputation?
Call us at 855-College for help making your college dream a reality.